There are many reasons why you should maintain good oral hygiene. Here are some tips and tricks to help keep your smile healthy.
1. Seal off troubled teeth. Permanent molars come in around age 6. Protective coatings applied to the chewing surfaces of the back teeth can prevent decay. Sealants can significantly reduce cavities.
2. Use the right amount of fluoride. One of the biggest advances in oral health has been fluoride, which strengthens enamel, making the tooth less likely to decay. Many toothpastes and mouth washes contain fluoride. Too much can cause white spots on teeth so make sure you are using the correct amount for your age. Children should only use a pea size amount.
3. Brush twice a day and floss daily. Gum disease and tooth decay are some of the biggest problems out there when it comes to teeth, and not just for older people. Three-fourths of teenagers have gums that bleed, according to the ADHA. Tip: Always remember that you should change your toothbrush 3 to 4 times a year.
4. Rinse after meals. In addition to brushing twice a day and flossing, rinsing your mouth with an antibacterial mouth wash can help prevent decay and gum problems.
5. Try to block blows to your teeth. Sports and other activities can become a threat to your teeth. Most school teams require children to wear mouth guards. Other activities like skate-boarding and roller-blading can also result in injuries. Your dentist can make a custom-fitted mouth guard to protect your teeth from being damaged.
6. Make an appointment! It is recommended to have a check-up every 6 months and more often if you have issues like gum disease. During an exam, your dentist removes plaque build-up that you can not brush away. A regular dental exam can also find problems like teeth grinding, early signs of oral cancer as well as signs of tooth decay.
Good oral hygiene is extremely important and can prevent many possible problems in your future.
Give us a call if you would like to make an appointment for a teeth cleaning or exam at 630-271-9999