It’s a true statement but little-known fact: an attractive smile may be striking but a healthy one is vital to our overall health. Since we were very young, we’ve been told to brush and floss after every meal, lay off the sugar, and visit the dentist regularly. But other than the threat of dentures, have you ever really known why preventative dental care is so crucial? Yes, regimented brushing and flossing are healthy habits but consistent preventative dentistry significantly reduces your chances of contracting a laundry list of harmful—and potentially fatal—diseases:
- Gingivitis (puffy, sore and bleeding gums that eventually leads to tooth loss)
- Respiratory illnesses
- Cardiovascular diseases
- Osteoporosis and Crohn’s disease (early symptoms show up in the oral cavity)
An Ounce of Prevention
Preventative dentistry procedures—cleanings and x-rays—every six months not only keep oral enemies like plaque and tartar buildup at bay; they aid in the early detection of tooth decay, gum disease, TMJ, and some oral cancers. The earlier the detection, the greater the chances are for a successful recovery.
Checkups reveal a whole host of other oral issues that should also be addressed:
- Aging or faulty past dental work that should be replaced
- Bruxism (nighttime teeth grinding)
- Proper occlusion (how top and bottom dental arches come together)
- Spacing and alignment of the teeth
- Cosmetic concerns such as discoloration, overlapping or chipped teeth
Don’t Be a Stranger
It’s just logical to come for preventative dentistry on a somewhat regular basis rather than wait until a tooth causes pain. In that case, you will most likely have to undergo a more complicated—and costly—procedure. We’re committed to helping you keep on top of your oral health while offering a dental practice that prides itself on comfort and a focus on family and fun.
Call to make an appointment with our friendly and professional staff today and we’ll get you on your way to a beautiful smile!